We're recruiting a Treasurer
Founded in 1998, Open Clasp is part of the National Portfolio of Organisations funded by Arts Council England. We have unparalleled experience working creatively with the most disenfranchised women to create truthful, risk-taking and exciting theatre providing powerful stimulus for discussion and debate.
- To collaborate with some of the country’s most marginalised women and young women, placing their lived experience at the centre of our creative processes
- Ensure the voices of those women are heard by audiences including policy makers
- Make space for discussion, debate and critical conversations
- Promote respect, equality and inclusion
We are looking for a woman with exceptional financial skills to join our Board of Trustees as Treasurer at this very exciting time for the company.
Due to the nature of our work the post is open to women only (exempt under the Equality Act 2010 Schedule 9, Part 1).
In view of the company’s emerging international and national profile, the Treasurer should have the skills and ability to support the board in taking considered and ambitious decisions, to retain and improve on the successes and profile we are now enjoying.
Overview of the role
- Guide and advise the Board of Trustees in the approval of budgets, accounts and financial statements, within a relevant policy framework
- Understand accounting procedures and key internal controls, so as to be able assure the Board of Trustees of Open Clasp’s financial integrity
- Monitor the financial administration and viability of the charity by scrutinizing monthly Finance Reports
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk-management process by leading Finance and Risk sub-group quarterly and making recommendations to the board of trustees, in compliance with the governing document.
- Advise the Board on the financial implications of Open Clasp’s strategic plans and key assumptions included in the business plan and annual budget
- Act as a counter signatory for banking and in applications to funders
- Board-level liaison with the external auditors on specific issues such as the Auditors’ Management Letter and the related board representations as necessary
- Ensure that proper accounting records are kept and formally presented at the AGM, financial systems are monitored and financial resources are properly invested and wisely spent
- Liaise with relevant members of staff
The Finance Sub-group is responsible for:
- Addressing any issues relating to monthly financial reporting
- Recommending appropriate action to the Board of Trustees having scrutinised options in detail
- Overseeing Company Development Manager in budgetary planning and monitoring
- Monitoring the general financial health of the organisation
- Reviewing financial procedures and reserves policy.
- To have a fundamental belief in the power of the work of the company to tell women’s stories and change their lives
- Ability to support the company to be ambitious, to grow and to take managed risks.
- Ability and capacity to give the role the attention it requires.
- Knowledge of the Arts / arts funding / community engagement is desirable
- Commitment to support social change is desirable.
You will need to attend a minimum of four board meetings and one away day per year, take a leading role with the finance subcommittee and other sub committees as might from time to time be appropriate, attend performances and external events, and have regular contact with the Company Development Manager and core team.
The appointment assumes a commitment to a minimum of one year term with the opportunity to extend by a second term.
‘Open Clasp is a really easy organisation to care deeply about, and being involved doesn’t feel like a chore in any way, but that in itself makes being involved a big commitment, because when it gets a bit of your heart you want to do everything you can to make it succeed!’ Current Open Clasp Board Member
If you can provide the expertise we are looking for and really want an opportunity to make a difference then we really want to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 10th May, 2017
Interviews will be held at the West End Women and Girls Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne
Critics Pick "a moving, intimate and superbly acted drama about women’s lives in a British prison"★★★★ "Exquisite... Singing with an everyday poetry as if the devising process had unlocked a waterfall of creativity"
★★★★★ "A touching, empowering work that hits the hat-trick of great script, direction and performance"
"Open Clasp is truly a treasure of the north east that must be supported and encouraged to become a treasure of the nation"
"Open Clasp have the balls, the brains and above all, the sense of humour, to tackle issues in a fresh and beguiling way"
"Open Clasp’s work shows a grass roots radicalism and genuine commitment, coupled with professionalism"